Do you feel a little emotionally flat during winter?
Do you feel more fatigued, less energised?
Do you crave comfort foods?
Do you mourn the sunshine?
Are you spending most of your waking hours inside?
Here are a few tips to lift your mood and get you through until spring.
- Take a warm jacket when you head out: I know I'm not your mother though if you are warm and cosy you will be more inclined to stay outside and soak up the sunshine when it makes an appearance.
- Take a walk during your lunch break: now that you have your warm jacket there is no excuse not to go for a walk. Even the beach is fair game if you're rugged up (I should know, I'm there everyday regardless).
- A reading chair in the sun: I know the best place to get the afternoon sun in my home, so when I'm not at work you'll find me curled up like a cat, soaking it up.
- Be opportunistic: Melbourne weather is fickle at the best of times, so if you're at your desk and notice the sun beaming through the distant window, make a break for it and drag your less than cheery workmates with you. Even a few moments of sunshine and fresh air can be revitalising.
- Acceptance: Embrace the cold, marvel at the rainbows, cherish the sun in the moments you spend with it, appreciate the rain, and enjoy the early nights in front of the fire.
As a Holistic Counsellor I see many people that need additional support to help them through difficult times.
Enjoy the moments of sun.